I play most of my PC video games through Steam, however because of Epic’s weekly items over the previous two years, I’ve amassed a surprisingly massive assortment of video games that I might love to have the ability to play on Steam Deck (opens in new tab)Valve’s new handheld gaming PC. Downside: Epic doesn’t have an official launcher for Linux, and the third social gathering launcher choices that exist on Linux are presently tough to put in.
Fortunately, there is a intelligent resolution that may get you taking part in video games out of your Epic library on Steam Deck in simply minutes, with no threat of messing up your SteamOS set up. Let’s take part.
Set up Epic Launcher on Steam Deck, Step-by-Step
I realized this system from YouTuber Gaming On Linux, so if you need a information within the type of a video go to his channel. Right here is my step-by-step evaluation.
1. Press and maintain the Steam deck energy button to carry up the facility menu, then choose Swap to desktop to modify to the Linux desktop.
2. Make sure that the desktop model of Steam is operating. It will let you pull up the on-screen keyboard by urgent Steam + X.
3. Open Firefox (or Chrome in case you have it put in) and seek for “Epic Installer” to drag up the Epic Video games obtain web page. Obtain Home windows Executable. (Should you’re studying this text in your Steam deck, this is the hyperlink!)
4. Open Steam. Use the Sport > Add non-Steam recreation to My Library menu choice to carry up the dialog field. Click on Browse. Within the dropdown field, click on “/” to navigate to the highest stage folder on the Steam deck, then comply with this path till you get to your Downloads folder:
/ dwelling / deck / downloads
Now change the “File Sorts” dropdown to “All Information” and you need to see the Epic Installer in your folder. Click on Open so as to add it to Steam’s record of non-Steam video games, then click on Add Chosen Applications.
5. Search your library for “epic” to seek out the installer. Proper-click and go to Properties > Compatibility and verify the field “Drive using a selected Steam Play compatibility device” and choose the newest steady model of Proton.
6. Click on on Play to run the installer. It is going to take a minute or so after which it’s going to disappear. You will have efficiently put in the Home windows model of Epic Launcher inside Steamos. Now all we now have to do is make it so you’ll be able to really use it.
7. That is the one step that is a little bit of a ache: You may want to seek out the folder inside SteamApps the place Epic Launcher is put in. Open Dolphin File Explorer from the taskbar and hit the hamburger menu within the top-right nook to allow “Present hidden information.” Now navigate via the next path:
Residence / .native / Share / Steam / SteamApps / CompatData
When you’ve got a bunch of video games put in, you will see a bundle of folders right here with the ID numbers that correspond to them. Hiding in one among these folders is your Epic Video games executable. If you have not added some other non-Steam video games, it ought to be fairly straightforward to seek out: the folder will include a a lot bigger quantity than any official Steam recreation. Begin with the very best numbered folder and preserve opening “pfx/drive_c/Program Information (x86)” throughout the folders till you discover the one with Epic Video games. While you do, navigate to this path:
Residence / .native / share / steam / steamapps / compatdata / [big folder number] / pfx / drive_c / Program Information (x86) / Epic Video games / Launcher / Portal / Binaries / Win64
Discover EpicGames Launcher.exe on the backside of the folder. Proper-click > Copy Location.
8. Again in Steam, right-click the Epic Installer entry in your library and go to Properties > Shortcuts. Right here you are going to spotlight the goal area, right-click, and hit paste. Then use the keyboard (Steam + X) to reattach the citation marks at the start and finish.
Do the identical for the “Begin In” area, however take away EpicGamesLauncher.exe from the tip, as a result of we’re right here to inform Steam which folder to search for. Keep in mind to place citation marks at the start and finish. (Should you discover it too tough to repeat/paste to the Steam deck’s trackpads, you should use the browse possibility right here as an alternative of navigating to the folder.
9. Rename your shortcut with EpicInstaller-[numbers]MSI for doing one thing good. I simply did “Epic Video games”. (You can even add an icon, but it surely will not present up within the SteamOS UI.)
10. Setup full! (nicely, principally). Click on the “Return to Gaming Mode” icon on the desktop as well again into SteamOS.
1 1 Again in SteamOS, open your Library and go to the Non-Steam Video games part, which ought to make it simpler to seek out your new Epic library. Choose it, then click on the controller icon to arrange your controls. I like to recommend choosing the “gamepad with mouse trackpad” template, enabling the again grip button, and setting the 2 grips to left/proper clicks. This fashion you should use the controller buttons as you usually would whereas utilizing the trackpad and grip buttons to navigate the Epic Launcher UI.
12. Boot the Launcher and login to your account. It is a bit gradual to load, so give it a minute or two. As soon as it has loaded, click on in your profile icon within the upper-right nook and open Settings. Disable the next:
- run when my laptop begins
- present free recreation notifications
- Present information and particular supply notifications
Disabling these notifications will make the UI a bit extra manageable.
It is nonetheless sluggish, however now you are free to put in video games and run them out of your launcher throughout the launcher. Simply do not count on the whole lot to magically work: video games with unsupported anti-cheat nonetheless aren’t, and there will not be compatibility for each recreation you strive via Epic Launcher.
There will certainly be higher methods to play your Epic video games over time: Third-party Heroic Launcher is planning Flatpak help, which can make it simpler to put in as an emulator on the Steam deck. There’s additionally Lutris, which had points with the Steam deck once I first tried it, however is certain to get higher over time. For now, although, merely including the Home windows Launcher to Steam is the best and cleanest resolution.